Due to the special geographical conditions, there are some travel tips for tourists who would like to travel to Tibet.
1. Foreigners who would like to visit Tibet must have a Tibet Permit. Tourists could get one through travel agency. You’d better apply it 15 days in advance.
2. People who visit Tibet are likely to suffer from altitude sickness. It is very common for people who travel from a lower altitude to a higher altitude. Don’t need to worry about it. Most tourists will adapt it in 1 or 2 days, 3-7 days for some people. You could also take some medicine to prevent altitude sickness or ease symptoms. Herba Rhodiolae is the most commonly used Chinese traditional medicine for preventing altitude sickness. It need to be taken at least one week before entering Tibet.
If you really feel terrible when you arrive in Tibet, you may turn to doctor for help or inhale some oxygen to ease the symptom.
If you have caught a cold before you entering Tibet, it is highly advised to not to go to Tibet. Because it will get worse and there may be a complication, such as emphysema pulmonum and etc.
Tourists who suffer from serious hypertension, heart disease, diabetes and trachitis are not allowed to enter Tibet.
3. The sunlight is very strong in Tibet. Use sunglasses and suncream to protect yourself.
4. The temperature differs a lot between day and night in Tibet. Bring a coat even in summer.
5. Avoid aggravating activities when you are in Tibet. Otherwise you may get serious altitude sickness.
6. If you plan to travel to Tibet by train, you’d better book the train ticket in advance especially in summer. The pre-sale period of train tickets in China is 60 days.
Tibet Travel Tips